Originating from lifestyle changes and family history, diabetes refers to changes in blood sugar levels, leading to high and low blood sugars. Glucose from food enters your cells and helps your body function properly. Diabetes type 2 occurs when your body does not utilize insulin properly which is known as insulin resistance with respect to the sugar level in blood. It is important to understand symptoms of high blood sugar as well as low blood sugar symptoms.
Initially the body is able to make insulin but later it is not able to keep up with it and hence blood sugar levels begin to fluctuate.
Causes of Type 2 Diabetes
- Genes: Science has proven the different combination of DNA which affect the process of generating insulin which has an impact on level of blood sugar.
- Extra Weight: Maintaining a healthy weight is essential in diabetes as it ensures you remain fit and active. Excessive weight, especially around the mid of your waist, raises the risk of insulin resistance. Kids are now becoming prone to type 2 diabetes due to increasing cases of obesity.
- Metabolic Syndrome: Insulin resistance leads to group of conditions like high blood glucose, extra fat around the waist, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Glucose from Liver: When your blood sugar levels are low, your liver produces glucose which is stored for later use when after meals your glucose levels rise.
Steps To Lower Blood Sugars
Once diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, one can easily maintain blood sugar levels by following natural remedies:
- Spread your meals at regular intervals throughout the day to avoid blood sugar fluctuations.
- Controlled portion size is also equally important as much as avoid skipping meals. Control your carb intake along with fats.
- Take proper sleep and relax so as to rejuvenate yourself and keep normal blood sugar levels.
- Practice yoga and meditation as these help relieve stress and allow you to manage blood sugars better.
- Exercise regularly as it helps you remain fit and active.
- Avoid skipping breakfast as it adds to your next meal which then ultimately raises your blood sugar levels. High protein breakfast helps maintain healthy blood glucose.
- Rely on high fibre and low carb diet to improve blood glucose control.
- Limit your alcohol and smoking as it throws your blood glucose off balance.
- Medicinal essential oils can be extremely beneficial particularly for insulin sensitivity. Some oils even relieve the severity of diabetes. Herbs and spices also lower or maintain the blood glucose levels.
- Dietary supplements also play a great role in maintaining overall health of a diabetic. They also support body’s ability to use insulin and can help keep your blood sugars balanced.
Carrying Out Blood Sugar Test
In the end, whether you are a diabetic, pre-diabetic or type 2 diabetic it is advisable to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly in order to ensure you follow the prescribed patterns of diet and lifestyle. Use a glucometer to control diabetes and hence analyze the same with your personalized diabetes educator or doctor. The glucometer readings are also synced to a diabetes management app.