What is diabetes?
Diabetes is a metabolic disease where the person has high blood glucose. This can arise either because the insulin production is inadequate or because the body cells are not able to respond properly to insulin.
In some cases, both the above mentioned reasons can occur together and lead to a diabetic condition.
Symptoms of diabetes:
– Frequent urination
– Increased thirst
– Increased hunger
– Blurry vision
– Abnormal weight loss
Why is a diet in diabetes?
Food is the main source of glucose (sugar) in our body. This glucose helps produce energy for our system to work. Every food has a particular reaction in our system and it is important to monitor its pattern especially for diabetic people.
Therefore a diet in diabetes plays a very important role. The diabetic food can help combat the symptoms of diabetes.
Foods that control diabetes
The key to a healthy diabetic diet is to include a variety of healthy foods and fruits.
The diabetic diet should include:
1. Non starchy vegetables like broccoli, carrots, greens and tomatoes.
2. Starchy vegetables like green potatoes and corn.
4. More than half of your grains should be whole grains
5. Including nuts and seeds like Sunflower and Pumpkin seeds are a healthy choice.
Along with a diabetic diet, it is also important to invest in some physical activity as well.
One of the most major reasons of getting diabetes is the lack of physical activity.
Food you should avoid:
– Fried food: Processed and fried food hardly contain any fibre. In addition, they contribute raising blood sugar levels.
– Food that has high salt content: Food like packed wafers, frozen dinner and spreads contain trans fats and unsaturated fatty acid to make it more stable. Though trans-fat does not directly raise sugar levels the often add to increase in insulin resistance.
– Sweets like candy and baked goods: Baked breads, pasta and refined flour products significantly raise blood sugar.
– Refined sugar is a complete no-no: Mostly found in sodas and sweet drinks. Refined sugar means high carbohydrates. The high fructose content leads to obesity, which is a primary cause of diabetes.
Indulging in exercise can help:
– Lower blood glucose
– Lower blood pressure
– Improve blood flow in the system
– Enhance mood
– Manage weight
And overall help in better sleep.
Invest in a glucometer: Diabetic diet can sometimes get very tricky therefore it is essential to invest in a glucometer. It will not only help in monitoring the sugar levels, but also can help you share results with family and friends.