If you are someone shying away from exercise thinking you’ll have to hit the gym, then worry no more!
You can now make exercise a part of your diabetes management without leaving home.
Exercise is important in the diabetes management plan, but it’s not always easy or convenient to get to the gym.
Fortunately, there are ways to still do them without buying an expensive gym membership or spending hours on the treadmill. In fact, you can reap the benefits without leaving the comfort of your own home.
- Lowers blood pressure
- Helps in weight management
- Decreases risk of heart disease
- Reduces stress
- Makes cells sensitive to insulin
- Burns off extra glucose in the bloodstream
- Lessens risk of complications like kidney disease, stroke etc
- Increases sleep quality
Here are few exercises you can and should definitely try:
- Squats: They not only make you look amazing. They also strengthen almost every muscle in your lower body, including your thighs, core, calves, glutes, hamstrings, and abs.
- Yoga: Yoga works with the energy in the body(the science of pranayam meaning energy-control). Yoga helps still the mind and attain awareness of your inner self.It is well known that regular practice of yoga can help reduce levels of stress, enhance mobility, lower blood pressure and improve overall well being.
- Press up: This move uses multiple muscle groups for maximum growth and strengthens your shoulder joints. To do this: get down into a press-up position with your hands placed shoulder-width apart and back flat, so a straight line forms from your head to heels.Lower your body until your chest is an inch from the ground then drive up by fully extending your arms. Repeat.
- Planks: This is one of the best exercises you can do for your core because it builds isometric strength to help sculpt your waistline.This workout can benefit your abs, back and core.
- Dance: This is one of the easiest workout. It requires no technique. There is no right or wrong. Just play a song you like and move your body in a dance routine. You can also do this with your family member with you for a lighthearted and fun session.