Regular blood sugar levels monitoring
This is one of the most important aspect of diabetes management. Management of diabetes requires active participation by the person who has it and people associated with the patient. Monitoring blood glucose levels on a regular basis and analyzing the results is a crucial part of the treatment. When diagnosed with diabetes, usually a blood sugar levels check meter is given or advised. However, the advice a person receives on when to monitor and what the results should be depend on his type of diabetes, age, and state of overall health. In some it can also depend on a health-care provider’s philosophy of care and which set of diabetes care guidelines he follows.
Why blood sugar test is important?
- By testing sugar levels, you get an idea of blood glucose levels in your system and how your care and management is actually working.
- The best way to self test is via a glucometer, preferably a smartphone glucometer.
- Self-monitoring is an important part of diabetes management because it puts you in control. Regular checking your blood glucose gives you the freedom to make choices without any worry.
A sugar test will help you determine:
- How well you are reaching your goals.
- How your diet and exercise is affecting your sugar levels
- How factors such as illness or stress, affect sugar levels
- Monitor the effect of medications on sugar levels
When to check?
Your doctor will advise you on how often you need to check your blood sugar level.
the frequency of tests depends on the type of diabetes you have and your ongoing treatment plan.
- Type 1 diabetes. You may be recommended blood sugar testing 4 – 10 times a day if you have type 1 diabetes. You may need to test before meals,before and after a workout, and sometimes during the night.
- Type 2 diabetes. If you take insulin to manage diabetes, your doctor may recommend blood sugar testing few times a day. This also depends on the type and amount of insulin you use.
On an average you may need to test twice daily, before breakfast and dinner.
Keep a track with the glucometer
With all the do’s and don’ts making sure your lifestyle changes and medications are actually for the better can become difficult. Keep a glucometer handy which will allow you to check blood sugar levels from time to time. You can buy glucometer online and even strips to support the device.
Only thing being, keep in mind before purchasing glucometer online is price of glucometer, the features and the memory. A lot of people just stress on the glucometer price but along with above mentioned factor you also need to check the sample size and accuracy the brand assures.