Brief about type 2 diabetes: Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which our body turns resistant to the effects of insulin and gradually loses the capacity to produce insulin in the pancreas.
Type 2 diabetes is usually associated with lifestyle factors.
Symptoms of type 2 diabetes usually include:
- Excessive thirst
- Excessive urge to urinate
- Increased hunger
- Blurry Vision
- Leg cramps
Importance of a healthy diet
Food for diabetics is a key factor as diet can define how your glucose levels behave. If you are a diabetic, a healthy eating habit is recommended as it can help you maintain weight, help manage blood glucose better, maintain healthy body weight and prevent/slow down diabetes related complications in the long run.
Benefits of ginger for type 2 diabetics
Food for diabetics usually comprises of foods that are low in glycemic index, low on carbohydrates and do not drastically changes your blood glucose levels post consumption.
- Ginger is a common spice found in almost every Indian household. It is also been long known as a natural remedy for quite many illnesses.
- Ginger is a flowering plant but what is used is its underground stem. Ginger being a spice adds great flavour and less calories and fat.
- As per studies, adding ginger in the food to eat in diabetes list has proven to have great benefits for diabetics. They also state that ginger extracts in food for diabetic patient help lower blood glucose levels.
- As per a paper by the ‘Journal of Ethnic Foods’ -2015 ginger supplements were believed to help reduce A1C levels.
- Research stated that ginger had possible enzymes which affected how carbohydrates were metabolised by the body, thereby leading to better glucose absorption in muscles.
Ginger is therefore considered as the best food for diabetes control by many.
How to incorporate ginger
Now that we know ginger can be added to our list of foods that control diabetes, here’s how you can incorporate it in your recipes.
It can be added to stir fried preparations, and usually pairs well with mushrooms, sprouts and chicken. On a scorching sunny day a ginger lemonade can prove to be beneficial and refreshing at the same time. Ginger can also be added to your usual recipes using food to control diabetes.
Glucometer: Always make sure to consult your doctor or nutritionist about adding ginger in your diabetic diet foods list. You also need to regularly check for your sugar levels and also the effect ginger has on your blood sugar levels. Keeping a glucometer with you helps in monitoring blood glucose levels anytime anywhere.