Lifestyle changes in the past decade have led to the scenario where diabetes is a common condition. Every other person above the age of 40 suffers due to the increased blood sugar levels, especially the people with type 2 diabetes. A little attention into what you eat on a daily basis can prevent the disease to a great extent. Eating healthy food and doing at least a 15 min workout a day can free you from the clutches of diabetes forever.
The International Diabetes Federation started the mission to raise awareness against type 2 diabetes in 1991 and started the concept of World Diabetes Day. It is observed every year on 14 November as a day to remind people of the need to focus on a healthy lifestyle in the face of the exponential rise in the number of diabetic patients around the world. Every year a theme, associated with preventive measures for diabetes, is put forward and is emphasized upon. The challenges like giving up junk food, reducing the intake of carb content in food and developing a workout regime also form an integral part of the campaign.
In 2018, the theme for World Diabetes Day is “the Family and Diabetes”. It is intended to make the people understand the long-term effects of the disease on the families. Once you develop the condition, you have to live with it for the rest of your life. Constant vigilance and restrictions on the food habits come along with it, not to mention the medicines and insulin dose you will have to carry around everywhere you go.
It is said that the change begins with you. This Nov 14, come forward and light the way for the change at your home. You can do this:
- By adjusting your lifestyle and keep distance from the diabetes.
- Start a workout routine for your entire family. This can be converted into some quality time spent together by putting a little thought into the workouts.
- Make a resolution to add more healthy veggies and fruits in your diet.
- Let obesity stay away from you and your family.
- Spread the message among friends and relatives to help them move in the better path too. And, if someone in your family suffers from the diabetic condition, help them live with it.
- Encourage them to give up high carb-containing foods and go green.
- Set an example of a better living so your loved ones live well and fit the very end.
Regardless of what you are up to and the time you can spare, there surely is some way to get yourself involved on this World Diabetes Day.