The term soup sounds boring and something for the sick people. But today we bring you Ragi almond vegetable soup- a diabetic friendly recipe but can be enjoyed by all alike.
This is a wholesome high protein soup that is packed with flavours from ginger and black pepper. The addition of vegetables to the soup makes it power-packed with nutrition and taste.
Ragi is rich in calcium, helps in weight loss, has a high fiber content, battles anemia, reduces blood cholesterol and also regulates blood sugar levels. Because of its low glycemic index, it helps reduce food cravings and slows down absorption of starch, thus helps in regulating the blood sugar for diabetics.
- 2 tablespoons Ragi Flour/Finger Millet
- 1 Onion medium , finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger finely chopped
- 1 medium Carrot finely chopped
- 1/4 cup French Beans finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Badam/Almond, soaked in water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ghee or olive oil
- Wheat Soup sticks for serving
- Peel and grind the almonds in a mixer to a fine paste.
- Boil 2 cups of water in a sauce pan, when it comes to rolling boiling stage, lower the flame.
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in a non-stick pan and sauté all the chopped vegetables along with onions and garlic for a minute on high flame.
- In a bowl take the ragi flour and make a slurry with water and slowly add it to the boiling water.
- Mix well and bring to a boil again.
- Once it’s 75% done, add the chopped sautéed vegetables and continue boiling until the vegetables are tender.
- Add almonds paste, cumin powder, salt and pepper according to the taste.
- Let it simmer for 2 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Pour in individual serving bowls and serve warm or hot with wheat soup sticks or wheat bread croutons
Enjoy this for a breakfast or dinner.
This yummy soup was shared by Sanchita Mittal. Do try it!