If eating healthier is one of your top 2019 priorities, that’s great. But if you are planning to keep too hard to to define goals you are surely going to break them.
This year, stop the cycle of resolving to make change and then not following it. If your resolution is to take better care of yourself and get healthy, you will have a much better year if your resolution sticks.
Here are some quick food tips for a healthier version of you this year:
- Make friends with veggies: One healthy habit to start is to fill half of every mealtime plate or bowl with non-starchy veggies. For most people that’s easier to do for lunch and dinner than for breakfast. So, try and include veggies in one way or another at every breakfast.Also if you are a rice lover, we’d suggest you replace white rice with brown or red rice.
- Incorporate more probiotics/prebiotics into your diet: Prebiotics are natural, non-digestible food components that are linked to promoting growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut.The best choices for prebiotics are: bananas, onions, garlic, leeks, asparagus, artichokes, soybeans etc. Probiotics on the other hand are active cultures that help change intestinal bacteria to balance gut flora. Consuming probiotics regularly can boost immunity and improve overall health. A great probiotic source is yogurt.Having a combination of prebiotics and probiotics in your diets can be a very powerful step to improving our overall health.
- Add fruits: A lot of people shy away from fruits since they worry about the ‘sugar content present in them. But incorporating fruits is a good thing. Fruits have antioxidants which can help prevent cell damage. They help you stay full between meals and prevent overeating or unhealthy snacking. They are also rich in essential nutrients.
- Snack healthy between meals: If you are not a lover of fruits and always look for a pack of chips between meals then stop this right now. Opt for some healthier alternatives like Sunflower Seeds, Quinoa Khakhra’s or Bajra Puffs. They are not only great in taste and filling but a healthy option compared to overly processed packaged food.
- Start drinking healthy: This year ditch your aerated drinks altogether.Opt for healthy juices and vinegars to start your day on a healthier note. Look for something like Apple Cider Vinegar or Karela Jamun Juice.
A quick tip apart from the food you eat is to Watch Your Weight. While a healthy diet is important, it is equally essential that you keep your body moving and the metabolism in control.
Invest in a daily workout routine to stay fit and feel great. Apart from this make sure to keep a check on your blood sugar levels and how your changes in lifestyle are impacting them. You can use the help of a glucometer for the same.