Total Cook Time: 45- 50 mins
- 5 cups skimmed milk
- 1/3 cup (60 gm) rice, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 6 crushed chhoti elaichi, seeds only
- 3/4 cup artificial sweetener
- 2 Tbsp (40 gm) pista, blanched and ground to a paste
- Green color- to taste
- 1/4 tsp rose essence
- 10 almonds, blanched and shredded
- Vark to garnish (optional)
- Drain the rice and place in a blender, with a little bit of milk and blend fine.
- Bring the milk to a boil, in a heavy- bottomed saucepan. Add the ground rice and bring it to boil again.
- Lower the heat and simmer, stirring continuously ,till the whole thing becomes one well blended mass. Takes about 20-25 minutes (to test, you can drop a spoon full, let it cool and check to see if it sets ).
- Shut off the heat, and add the cardamom and sweetener.
- Divide the phirni into two and add the pista paste to one portion and the rose essence to the other half.
- Pour the white phirni into the serving bowl and refrigerate to set leaving the other half at room temperature.
- When the white portion is set, pour the green portion over it, cover with the vark, garnish with the almonds and refrigerate it to set. Serve chilled.