Diabetes, referred to as ‘Diabetes mellitus’ by doctors, is a chronic lifestyle disease which occurs due to high blood glucose (blood sugar) levels. This condition is caused either due to irregular insulin production or due to improper exchange of response between insulin and the body cells, or both. It is estimated that over 382 million people of the world are affected by diabetes.
Common Symptoms and Management Tips for Diabetes
Some of the common symptoms associated with diabetes are weight gain, weight loss, frequent urination, hunger, cuts that do not heal etc. It is very important for a diabetic person to take good care of themselves since it’s a lifelong ailment. It is advised to exercise regularly, eat healthy, and take proper medication. The most important thing to consider is to actively check blood sugar levels each day with appropriate supplies and equipment.
Diabetes Made Simple with Diabetic Supplies
In this technology driven world nothing is impossible and everything is widely and easily available. The supplies are well distributed in hospitals and local pharmacy stores, and play a major role in the lives of diabetics, making it easier to get over challenges of blood sugar monitoring and live a joyful and healthy life.
The list of diabetic supplies maybe quite long depending on the type of diabetes one has. Below are few must haves for a diabetic:
- Blood sugar meter
- Sugar test strips
It is imperative for all the diabetic supplies to be up to date and the devices be kept running for best results and accuracy, it is also indispensible for a person to check for the same.
Buying Diabetic Supplies
When buying the supplies, do check expiry date of the medicine along with the dose (mg) to be taken and the price to avoid any mistake and overpricing. It is always recommended to take pills/medicine as prescribed by the doctor.
- Blood sugar meter is a device which gives blood sugar reading. Before using it, it is very important to read the instructions for use and any confusion should be cleared with the seller/doctor. Also, before buying the product it is important to check that there should not be any kind of damage which may hamper the reading and usage. There are many brands in the market with different range and types of these meters.
- Lancets are small needles attached in lancet device used to prick the skin of the finger to collect blood for sugar level checking. Before buying them, be sure that the packaging is not damaged and the price charged is on MRP. Also, do not use the same lancet next time; dispose it off properly, wash hands properly before using to maintain hygiene.
- Same are the guidelines to be followed when buying and using syringes (in case using at home, seek help from a diabetes educator to know how to dispose off medical waste properly).
- Diabetic test strips are disposable strips where blood is collected after pricking the skin. It is used with glucose check meter/blood sugar meter. These strips are the primary component to check the blood sugar level rating. When buying the strips, it’s important to check for its expiry date, usage and sale on MRP. Apart from this make sure to not to reuse it and dispose off properly.
- Insulin regulates the blood sugar level to maintain it from getting too low or too high. Insulin is taken through syringe and before buying insulin you should check for expiry and product pricing and ensure to store it at a temperature indicated on its packing.
Following and sharing few tips and guidelines will only make the journey much more comfortable and easier. Living with diabetes only involves simple steps repeated everyday among which regular blood sugar monitoring using a compact glucometer is the most important step.