Bakra Eid called as Eid- ul- Adha is one of the important festivals celebrated among Muslims around the world. It is a ‘feast of sacrifice’ where there is delicious food which is shared with extended family and friends. Apart from food, Muslims also offer the Eid prayers which plays a major role in the celebration.
Muslims across the world have their list of dishes to prepare.Keeping the spirit alive we decided to try something ourselves.
Read on to know how you can have a delicious meal even as a Diabetic.
For the main course, we plan to make No Oil Mutton Curry!
You’ll need :
- 500 gram mutton, trim the skin and fat off
- 150 gram thick curd
- 1 large onion
- Some ginger
- 5 garlic buds
- 1 tsp meat masala
- 1 tsp zeera, freshly roasted and grounded
- 1 tsp dhania powder
- 3/4 tsp haldi powder
- 1/2 tp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 green elaichi
- 6 cloves
- A stick of dalchini
- 1 javitri
- 1 star anise
- 4 tomatoes
- Grind the curd, onion, ginger and garlic to make a paste. Marinate the mutton with this paste, and add haldi, dhania and red chilli powder along with meat masala and refrigerate for two hours.
- Pressure cook marinated mutton until the meat is fully done. If required, add little water. Open the pressure cooker when steam gets released completely.
- Switch on the gas again and add tomato puree and salt, and cook on a low flame for five minutes approximately.
- Now add the dry spice powder and zeera powder and cook for one more minute or until a thick gravy is formed.
85-gram serving of roasted mutton contains 199 calories and no carbohydrates. Eat accordingly.
For some meetha post meals, we’ve decided on something not so common to celebrations.
We give you Lime Coconut Ice Cream!
This is the ultimate treat- super creamy and super easy.
What all you’ll need:
- 350 grams of coconut cream: Coconut cream is very similar to coconut milk but contains less water. You can prepare this at home ( read on to know how to make it yourself) or buy it online.
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or honey
- Whisk all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour lime coconut cream in to an ice cream maker.
- Transfer this sorbet to a freezer.
- Freeze up to 2 hours.
- Serve chilled.
To top this off you could add some almond flakes.
1. Use coconut cream with no added ingredients.
2. To prepare coconut cream yourself:
- Pulse shredded coconut or coconut flakes in a blender.
- When it starts to get thick, add 2 tblsp of melted coconut oil and keep blending until smooth
- Add artificial sweetener and mix until smooth. Enjoy!
Though we’ve tried to keep our prep as healthy as possible, food naturally has an impact on our sugar levels. It is important to keep a check on your sugar levels before and after meals. Do this using a glucometer. Also make sure to get on to your exercise regime once celebrations end.