Diabetes is associated with high blood sugar levels. Diabetic diet or management usually involves certain methods and some foods that can lower blood sugar levels. There are certain diabetic foods that can help as foods that control diabetes. It is essential to maintain a low carb diet in diabetes. Some foods are also helpful in lowering blood glucose levels. In this article, find more about the benefits of cinnamon, especially for people with diabetes.
Things You Should Include In Your Diet
- Cinnamon: Famous since ancient times for its medicinal properties, cinnamon is known to lower blood glucose levels. It is also effective for muscle spasms, infections, common colds and chronic wounds.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This is beneficial for both types of diabetes- 1 & 2 and specifically for postprandial glucose.
- Chia Seeds: It is high in antioxidants and omega-3 oils, which makes it a good source of energy. Chia seeds can be added to almost anything from salads to smoothies.
- Flax Seeds: They help improve fasting level of blood sugar levels. It also helps lower cholesterol and keep haemoglobin levels to normal.
- Lentils: They are rich in dietary fibre – both soluble and insoluble. Insoluble fibre helps regulate bowel movement and prevent constipation while the soluble fibre reduces risk of heart disease.
Benefits of Cinnamon
Studies suggest that cinnamon in diets for diabetic patients improves cholesterol and blood glucose levels.Type 2 diabetes diet lays special focus on reducing fasting glucose levels. Cinnamon is known to help in the same way.
Cinnamon is known to increase insulin sensitivity.
Is it safe for diabetics: Adding cinnamon to the diet to control diabetes is debatable. Some call it unsafe for diabetics. But majority studies call it the best diabetic diet element. Health experts over the years have claimed that cinnamon slows stomach emptying and is beneficial for regulation of blood sugar. Additionally, it can help boost the immune system of diabetics. Just be careful if you have a liver problem. It is best to consult a healthcare advisor before incorporating cinnamon into your diet for diabetes.
Ways To Use Cinnamon
- Sprinkle some of it over your food.
- You could add it to your drinks or just simply prepare cinnamon tea.
- Consume cinnamon powder with honey on an empty stomach.
You need to constantly monitor and evaluate the effect cinnamon and certain diets for type 2 diabetes have on sugar levels. Keeping a glucometer handy always helps in such cases. Also, it is advisable to consult your doctor about the best foods for diabetes control and whether you can add spices like cinnamon to your diabetic diet plan.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?