People with Diabetes are at high risk of developing problems such as strokes and heart attacks. Deaths due to cardiovascular disorders or heart diseases is higher in diabetic individuals vs non diabetics. Therefore, diabetes and heart disease are intricately linked.
Causes of Heart Disease Among Diabetics
The following have been ascertained to be the cause of heart disease among diabetics-
- Obesity, being overweight or having a sedentary lifestyle
- Cigarette smoking is also a leading cause of heart disease.
- Poorly controlled blood glucose levels, high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.
- Dyslipidemia or abnormal amount of lipids.
Get the best Portable ECG Machine In India
Be aware of the symptoms and talk to your medical team for advice if you notice any of the following :
- Difficulty in breathing
- Excessive sweating
Risks associated with diabetes and heart disease
Diabetes is commonly associated with Hypertension, that is , when the level of blood pressure is above 120/80 mm. Hg. This increases the risk of coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, kidney failure and retinopathy. A blood pressure less than 130/80 mm. Hg. is recommended for diabetic patients.
-Coronary Artery Disease (Heart Disease)
Leads to formation of plaque in arteries which blocks blood flow and increases the risk of heart disease.
Is a heart muscle disorder in people with diabetes. It can lead to ineffective blood circulation through the body and accumulation of fluid in lungs or legs causing the body to reach a state of heart failure.
How do I manage and prevent heart diseases ?
Be smart and manage the following :
- Your levels – Sugar , blood pressure and cholesterol levels must be in check and well controlled
- Follow your medication or insulin strictly.
- A good exercise routine and quitting smoking are good lifestyle choices that reduce risk of heart diseases
- Follow your Doctor’s advice.
Don’t forget to keep a tab on your sugar levels. Also , follow all the recommendations related to your diet and lifestyle, given by your health coach. Optimize your choices based on your sugar level to ensure the best diabetes management.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?