Heart complications in Diabetics
People with Diabetes are at high risk of developing problems such as strokes and heart attacks. Deaths due to cardiovascular disorders or heart diseases is higher in diabetic indivduals vs non diabetics.
Why does it happen ?
- Obesity, being overweight or having a sedentary lifestyle
- Cigarette smoking is also a leading cause of heart disease.
- Poorly controlled blood glucoses levels, high blood pressure and high cholestrol levels.
- Dyslipidemia or abnormal amount of lipids.
What kind of problems ?
Diabetes is commonly associated with Hypertension, that is , when the level of blood pressure above 120/80 mm. Hg. This increases the risk of coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, kidney failure and retinopathy. A blood pressure less than 130/80 mm. Hg. is recommended for diabetic patients.
Coronary Artery Disease (Heart Disease)
Leads to formation of plaque in arteries which blocks blood flow and increases the risk of heart disease.
Is a heart muscle disorder in people with diabetes.It can lead to inneffective blood circulation through the body and accumulation of fluid in lungs or legs causing the body to reach a state of heart failure.
How do I manage and prevent heart diseases ?
Be aware of the symptoms and talk to your medical team for advice if you notice any of the following :
- Difficulty in breathing
- Excessive sweating
Be smart and manage the following :
- Your levels – Sugar , blood pressure and cholestrol levels must be in check and well controlled
- Follow your medication or insulin strictly.
- A good exercise routine and quitting smoking are good lifestyle choices that reduce risk of heart diseases
- Follow your Doctor’s advice.
How can BeatO help ?
You can keep track of your exercise routine via the BeatO app. Get your lab tests and ECG checks at home with our BeatO Care plan.
Also read: How to control diabetes