India has been labeled as the diabetes capital of the world for a reason – with increasing number of diabetes cases being reported every single day due to health factors ignored by majority of the population and lack of knowledge about diet for diabetes. The following lifestyle drawbacks are glaring in front of Indians but they are not taking action to cure it.
- Obesity is one of the main causes of diabetes in India.
- Further studies have shown a low diabetes prone age as compared to other countries.
- There is a lack initiative to spread awareness about the disease.
- This has resulted in neglect on part of the diabetics to take their medication and check-ups seriously.
- While India progresses due to rapid modernisation, people face drastic lifestyle changes owing to the sedentary nature of jobs, without any physical exercise, resulting in a regression.
- Stress has been adopted as part of the lifestyle. This stands as a strong cause of cardio-vascular diseases.
- Since people are still on the path of development, many, with their backward thought processed fear taking insulin shots and are laid back in visiting a doctor for check-up.
Diabetes and Calcium Go Hand in Hand: Here’s Why
Modifying your best diabetic diet when you have diabetes is essential in order to fulfill the nutritional requirements of your body and manage your weight in a healthy manner. That means fueling up with foods like lean protein, whole grains, non-starchy veggies, and certain fruits in your type 2 diabetes diet. From among the foods that control diabetes, another essential element in diabetes diet which often gets ignored is Calcium or Vitamin D rich foods.
- Calcium and vitamin D rich diabetic diet helps in better metabolism of glucose. Since diabetes involves insulin resistance which prevents glucose from entering your cells leading to excessive amounts in the bloodstream, it is important for glucose to be metabolized.
- From among the food for diabetics, calcium and vitamin D deficiency has been suspected as having a major role in the development of both type1 & type2 diabetes.
- Calcium is the sole essential ingredient in diet for diabetes for developing strong bones, along with vitamin D. This is especially important for people with diabetes as their bones loose the mineral faster.
Seven Calcium and Vitamin D Rich Food for Diabetic Patient
From among the food to control diabetes, the following calcium rich foods are proven to keep you healthy.
- Sardine fish supports cardiovascular health, protein assists with insulin sensitivity. With 324 mg of calcium per 3-ounce serving, this fish provides an excellent source of calcium. As a bonus, the vitamin D in sardines may help the body use calcium more efficiently.
- Plain greek yogurt is another rich source of calcium and vitamin D which also helps in weight management.
- Tofu is an excellent low-fat calcium rich source of protein. With 434 mg of calcium per ½ cup, tofu provides 43 percent of the recommended daily allowance.
- Spinach is not only rich in iron but has high content of calcium which is readily available for absorption in the body.
- Cottage cheese is another calcium rich low carb afternoon snack.
- Cod liver oil is another rich source of calcium.
- Seeds like almonds and sesame seeds are proven to be rich in calcium and vitamin D.
Daily Recommended Calcium for Diabetics
For women and men between the ages of 19 and 51, the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for calcium is 1,000 milligrams (mg) per day. This recommendation increases to 1,200 mg for women age 51 and older and men 71 and older.
Being a diabetic, the most important thing is to remain in close contact with your doctor for diet and lifestyle modifications. Use the best glucometer to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly. You can buy glucometer online and check the price of glucometer before buying.