Jackfruit contains a large number of vitamins and antioxidants. As it contains a good amount of fiber and protein, it has a low glycemic index. It means it will help in slow digestion and prevent your sugar levels from rising rapidly. The antioxidants present in jackfruit can help in long term blood sugar level control. We have listed some healthy jackfruit flour recipes for you. Here are 5 ways in which you can include Jackfruit Flour in your diabetic diet-
Jackfruit Flour Idli
- ½ cup black lentil or urad dal
- 3 spoons of jackfruit flour
- Salt- to taste
- Water- as required
- Soak urad dal in water for about 2-3 hours.
- Grind urad dal and rice by adding water and make a smooth batter. Keep it overnight.
- Add in jackfruit flour batter with the fermented idli batter to make a thick batter.
- To steam the idli, bring the water in the idli maker to a boiling point.
- Steam the idlis for 10-12 minutes. Serve with sambar or coconut chutney.
Jackfruit Flour Upma
- 1 cup Rava
- 2 spoons Jackfruit flour
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ tbsp chopped green chilly
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt- to taste
- 2 cups water
- Put the frying pan on a low flame and heat the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves,
- Add ginger and onion. Cook until the onions are golden brown.
- Add jackfruit flour and rava and roast it a little in the pan.
- Add salt and turmeric to it.
- Add water and keep stirring until it dries up.
- Serve it hot.
Read more : Diabetes-friendly Brown Rice with Corn Recipe
Jackfruit Flour Pancakes
We have to agree that this is one of our most beloved breakfast options. Let’s learn how to make a healthier version of pancakes using jackfruit flour.
- ½ cup Jackfruit flour
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup oats
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Stevia or other natural sweetener as per taste.
- Mix all ingredients together to make a smooth batter.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium flame.
- Drop 2-3 tbsp of batter and spread it evenly to make it into a round shape.
- Cook the pancakes evenly on both sides.
- Serve with toppings which have a low glycemic index.
Jackfruit Flour Chapati
Every Indian meal is incomplete without your staple- chapati or roti. Instead of your regular flour, use jackfruit flour while making the dough. After kneading the dough, let it rest for 15 minutes. Eat this roti with jackfruit curry or with other dishes which have a low glycemic index and are diabetic friendly.
Although jackfruit does not rapidly raise your blood sugar levels, it should be eaten in moderation. Overeating of any food even when it might be low in glycemic index, can be dangerous. If you face any doubt whether you should include jackfruit in your diet or not, you should always consult your diabetes care coach.
Keep monitoring your sugar levels on a regular basis and make the required adjustments to your diet or lifestyle, after consulting your health coach. Consume a healthy diet and do not forget to have a regular workout regime. It is only when you follow all the recommended practises, you will be able to control your blood sugar levels.