With so many changes happening in our current lifestyle, stress, and lack of exercise, it has become crucial to take steps that help in our overall health, especially diabetes. Diabetes, which can be genetic as well as lifestyle-borne is a condition where the sugar levels of the body are exceptionally high from the normal fasting blood sugar level. Since it is considered a chronic disease, a person must take medication to keep the blood sugar in check. However, there are certain effective home remedies for diabetes that can help you manage your sugar levels.
In this article, here are effective home remedies for diabetes.
Diet to Manage Diabetes
One of the most effective home remedies for diabetes is to have a balanced diet. Here are a few types of food that should be included in your diabetes diet.
1. BITTER GOURD OR KARELA
Bitter gourd is extremely nutritious and great for diabetics. The plant is high in insulin-polypeptide-P and has the power to bring down to normal fasting blood sugar level. In addition to this, bitter gourd also known as karela is also rich in essential compounds called charatin and momordicin, which are the key compounds in lowering one’s blood sugar levels.
How to use:
- It is advised to consume karela once a week in the form of curry/sabzi
- One can also consume the plant in the form of juice. Just slice the karela and remove the seeds. Add the sliced vegetable to a blender. A small glass of this juice on an empty stomach every morning can do wonders.
One of the most commonly used herbs in the Indian kitchens, fenugreek is also known for its many great benefits. The herb is rich in nutrients that help improve glucose tolerance, control diabetes, improve the secretion of insulin and bring down to normal fasting blood sugar level.
How to use:
- It is recommended to soak 2 tbsp of the seeds in water overnight. In the morning, you can drink the water along with the seeds on an empty stomach.
- Alternatively, one can consume fenugreek seed powder with milk or even hot/cold water
3. MANGO LEAVES
One of the greatest effective home remedies for diabetes is fresh mango leaves. Mango leaves are known to have multiple benefits including lower blood pressure and treating gall and kidney stones but one of the biggest benefits of consuming mango leaves is that it reduces sugar levels.
How to use:
- One can sun-dry mango leaves and grind them to powder. The powder can be consumed with water twice a day for better results.
- You can also boil the mango leaves in water and consume the water in the morning on an empty stomach.
4. INDIAN GOOSEBERRY OR AMLA
Amla or Indian gooseberry is rich in Vitamin C and is popular to work well for managing sugar levels. It can also help your pancreas to produce optimum in order to keep your sugar levels balanced.
How to use:
- After removing the seeds, grind 2-3 amlas into a fine paste. Squeeze out the juice and mix 2 tablespoons of the juice with water to drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
- You can also mix the juices of bitter gourd and amla to improve your sugar levels. This should be done every morning.
- Even consuming raw amla every day can help in reducing sugar levels
5. DRUMSTICK OR MORINGA LEAVES
Commonly known as drumstick, moringa oleifera leaves are rich in nutrients that can boost energy levels and maintain blood sugar levels. It offers a nutrient punch of vitamins including A, C, K, B along with minerals such as iron, calcium and magnesium. Drumstick leaves are also a great source of fibre and protein.
How to use:
It is advisable to add drumstick leaves to a meal in the form of a sabzi or curry. Not only will it add a flavor but also reduce the rise in blood sugar. Alternatively, one can add drumstick leaves in a salad or steam it like spinach.
We have been taught since our childhood that sunlight is a great and free source of Vitamin D. In recent studies, researchers have shown links of how low Vitamin D levels can lead to insulin resistance and diabetes. Additionally, the studies also reflected the importance of Vitamin D in the production of insulin in the body. This means, the lower your levels of vitamin D, the higher the chances of developing type 2 diabetes.
What to do:
- It is ideal to expose yourself in sunlight for at least 30 minutes daily to avoid deficiency in Vitamin D.
- There are foods that are rich in Vitamin D that one can consume. This includes orange juice, cheese, yogurt, cheese, yogurt and cereals.
Diabetes can increase the risk of dehydration. In a bid to reduce the excess glucose, the kidneys try to pass out the excess sugar through urine but that also means that it takes water. Hence, higher the sugar levels, the higher the water consumption.
How to use:
- It is recommended to consume 2.5 – 3 litres of water daily.
Exercise to Manage Diabetes
Apart from a balanced diet, one should also give due importance to exercise to keep your sugar levels in check. Apart from managing diabetes, here are the additional benefits of these asanas.
Sirsasana helps in calming the brain and relieving stress. Additionally, the asana helps in pituitary and pineal glands.
This asana increases elasticity of the spine and also relieves one from back pain.
Vakrasana helps in improving digestion and regulates the secretion of digestive juices. Additionally, they help in decreasing belly fat.
Mayurasana helps in strengthening the organs including intestines, spleen, liver, pancreas, and kidneys.It is also great for blood circulation in the abdominal area.
Bhujangasana is great for toning the body and relieving stress and fatigue.
Monitoring Sugar Levels at Home
Apart from a proper diet and exercise, one of the most important parts of diabetes management is monitoring sugar levels at home as one of the effective home remedies for diabetes is monitoring sugar levels at home.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Always keep your testing kit which is the meter and other supplies with you at all times
- Keep a daily log of the readings and discuss any fluctuations with your educator
- Maintain a routine of how often you want to test your blood sugar
- Do not reuse your lancet or testing strips. This can increase the chances of infection.
- While testing, do not squeeze your fingertip vigorously and instead hand your arm down and let your blood pool to the fingertip.
- Consult with your diabetes educator if you are consuming both ayurvedic tablets for diabetes
Once a person develops diabetes, it is important to focus on ways to improve insulin secretion and pancreas functioning mechanism to reduce progression of the condition. The aforementioned effective home remedies for diabetes will help you in attaining the same.
Disclaimer: All information, content, and material of this article is for informational purposes only and are not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or healthcare provider.