Diabetes mellitus is a condition that hinders the body’s ability to respond to insulin and manage sugar levels. The condition which is one of the leading causes of death worldwide has grappled India already with over 31,705,000 diabetics in the millennium year. Moreover, it is reported by WHO that the condition is estimated to grow by over 100% by 2030.
However, as life-threatening this condition might be, managing the progression of the condition is as simple. From making lifestyle changes to a proper balanced diet, even Ayurvedic home remedies for diabetes are recommended to manage the condition with ease.
Let’s find out the tips to control your blood glucose levels!
Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Diabetes: An Introduction
As mentioned above, managing diabetes is not an impossible task. The progression of the condition depends on various factors including lifestyle, exercise, and medication. While the former two factors can be managed by oneself, scientists across the globe are trying to come up with a medication that can reverse the effect of diabetes. As of now, there are different types of medications that can help manage sugar levels including ayurvedic tablets for diabetes.
Ayurveda has grown exponentially and has developed ways to manage diabetes. In Ayurveda, diabetes is referred to as ‘Madhumey’ and suggests avoiding intake of excess sugar and simple carbohydrates. In fact, it recommends to include green and leafy vegetables and a few healthy but bitter herbs such as amla, aloe vera, etc.
Ayurveda is based on three fundamental doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha – and good health is considered when all three doshas are in a perfect balance. Ayurvedic experts call diabetes development to be a cause of diminished functioning of agni which results in high sugar levels.
Tips to Control Your Blood Glucose Levels
Having said that, there are a few Ayurvedic home remedies for diabetes that can help in controlling your blood sugar levels. Here are a few of them:
– Make changes to the diet, utensils, etc.
- Make an herbal mixture by adding one part of guduchi, a part of kudki, a part of shardunika and 2 parts of punarnava. Mix it well and consume it with warm water 2-3 times a day
- Increase your intake of turmeric to ensure effective diabetes management and maintaining sugar levels
- Since ages, drinking water from copper vessels has been advised due to the health benefits offered. According to Ayurvedic experts, reviving this method can help in overall well-being of the body and prevent fluctuations in sugar levels. The water when stored in a copper vessel is called ‘Tamra Jal’ which is often said to help strike a balance in all three doshas. It is recommended to add a cup of water and keep it overnight to drink it the next morning.
– Keep a stock of methi dana
According to Ayurvedic experts, diabetics should definitely consume methi dana on a regular basis and should ensure a stock in their homes. It is advisable to consume the sprouts or drink the fenugreek water in the morning.
-Bitter Is Better
Instead of just reducing your sugar and carbohydrate count, it is recommended to add bitter food items to your diet for effective results. This can be bitter gourd, amla, hemp seeds, and aloe vera which have shown magnificent results in diabetes management.
-Make dietary changes
As per Ayurvedic experts, any ailments in the human body is caused due to an imbalance in the doshas. In the case of diabetes, Type 1 is caused due to an imbalance of the Vata (air and wind) dosha whereas Type 2 is caused due to excess of the Kapha (water and earth) dosha. Therefore, meals that have less fats are very important. Additionally, one can avoid dairy products and opt for almond/soy/skimmed milk and low-fat yogurt instead. Another great food to reduce excess Kapha in the system is by adding ginger tea to your diet.
-Use Your Spices Wisely
Spices are known to have antidiabetic properties, especially turmeric, mustard, asafoetida, cinnamon, and coriander. Add them in your meals or drink it with warm water to manage diabetes naturally.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Diabetes
Ayurveda also recommends to add the following as part of your diabetes diet to control your manage levels:
1. Bitter gourd: Bitter gourd should be a staple in a diabetes diet due to its richness in hypoglycaemic bio-chemical substances. The substances are great to manage fluctuations in sugar levels, especially Type-1 and Type-2 diabetes. One of the best ayurvedic home remedies is to consume bitter gourd juice in the morning.
2. Bengal gram: Bengal gram is another great food with great glucose intolerance. In fact, it is advised to non-diabetics to reduce the risk of diabetes. Bengal gram is also beneficial for chronic diabetes.
3. Bitter melon: Bitter melon has antidiabetic properties as it contains charanti and polypeptide-p, both known for lowering blood sugar level naturally.
4. Fenugreek seeds: Fenugreek seeds contain galactomannan, a component known to reduce the rate of digestion and decrease carbohydrate absorption. Consuming the water in which 10 grams fenugreek seeds are soaked can be consumed in an empty stomach for best results.
5. Indian gooseberry: Amla or Indian gooseberry helps in regulating carbohydrate absorption. Moreover, the presence of chromium helps in insulin sensitivity. Once can simply eat it raw or mix it with gooseberry and bitter gourd to stimulate the pancreatic cells and reduce blood sugar.
6. Jamun: Consumption of jamun is highly recommended for diabetics due to its benefits in regulating insulin and increasing insulin production. Chewing 4-5 jamun leaves throughout the day can show positive results in diabetes.
7. Bay leaf: Bay leaf is amongst the ayurvedic home remedies for diabetes. Take a mixture of bay leaf, turmeric, and aloe vera gel before meals to manage fluctuation in sugar levels.
8. Mango leaves: Mango leaves are a great source of nutrients. You can take it with a glass of water and leave it overnight and drink it in the morning. Alternatively, you can dry the leaves and mix it with water to consume in the morning.
9. Turmeric powder: The benefits of turmeric powder have been mentioned above. A mix of turmeric, honey, and dried amla can show magnificent results in managing sugar levels.
10.Curry leaf: Curry leaves are another great remedy for managing diabetes and hence is recommended to be consumed twice or thrice a day.
Diabetes, if not treated properly, is a progressive condition. While it is important to do your own research for herbal recommendations and consult a doctor and diabetes educator, there are ayurvedic tablets that can be consumed alongside your regular medication. Another factor to keep in mind for effective diabetes management is to use the best blood sugar testing machine and monitor your sugar levels on a regular basis.
Disclaimer: All information, content, and material of this article is for informational purposes only and are not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or healthcare provider.