We all suffer from cold and flu from time to time, but for diabetic individuals, colds and flu can be a bit more serious. Individuals with diabetes are more prone to infections, so it is significant to make sure a cold and flu don’t turn sickening. Given below are some basic advice or tips which should be a big help when you get a cold or flu:
- It is very important to drink plenty of fluids to get away with dehydration. If one is not eating properly, he or she might get dehydrated, which further results in low blood glucose levels. Dehydration itself can cause major problems as well.
- Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure you take plenty of rest as it allows your body to repair & fight various diseases. As your body becomes weak when you suffer from cold & flu, hence, it is very important to give your body a complete rest.
- Lots of people also recommend taking a good intake of Zinc & vitamin C. We all are familiar with the fact that vitamin C is generally present in various fruits & vegetables like orange, lemon, and various others. It is also recommended to take orange juice.
- Well, if you are suffering from a high temperature, then it is always advised to first visit a specialist. Although, all diabetic medicines are compatible with paracetamol, it is better to consult a doctor before taking it. High temperatures can also be a sign of other infections in the body.
- Another significant thing is to avoid flu remedies with decongestants. Hypothetically, they could make the signs of persistent high blood sugar harder to identify and if you are on blood pressure lowering medicines, they could increase your blood pressure. Besides this, make sure to monitor your glucose levels regularly with the help of a glucometer. No matter if you are on insulin or on medicine, it is very important to keep a close check if your blood sugar level goes beyond the controlled levels.
- Well, if your blood sugar levels become high, this might lead to the production of ketones, and this can happen repetitively with type 1 diabetics. Hence, it is essential to keep a check on your urine ketones and let your specialist know if you come across any positive results.
- You can also take lozenges for sore throats and cough suppressants for dry coughs. Request your pharmacologist for the sugar-free varieties. If you are suffering from a chesty cough (a cough with mucus) and the mucus is dark, this is an indication of infection and you should go see your specialist immediately.
Keep these tips in mind to escape colds and flu if you are a diabetic.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?