Exercise helps you in staying fit, enhancing your mood and also helps in managing and avoiding chronic conditions. Let us try and understand why exercise for diabetics is important. For diabetics, it can help lower blood sugar and keep diabetes under control. Regular physical activity is an essential part of diabetes management, along with a proper diet and medications as prescribed.
Benefits of exercise for diabetics
Diabetics can experience immense benefits while exercising. Some of them are listed below-
- Lower blood sugar levels
- Reduces cholesterol levels
- Helps in weight management as it burn calories
- Helps relieve stress
- Strengthens muscles and bones
- Reduces symptoms of depression
It is safe and is highly recommended for people having diabetes type 2.
Exercises for people with chronic conditions
Try the below mentioned exercise and help manage your condition better.
- Quick Walk:The simple act of walking is one of the best and easiest exercises you can do for diabetes. The best part is you can do it anytime and anywhere. There is no equipment required except your walking shoes.
- Tai Chi: Originated in China as a martial art form it is also a great in your daily workout routine. It is known to lower blood sugar levels in diabetics.
- Water Exercises: If you find regular exercise boring you can try some water exercises as well like swimming which is a great low intensity cardio workout.
- Take the stairs: If nothing seems to be your cup of tea when it comes to exercise, just take the stairs. A daily up and down of a flight of stairs for 10 minutes is a great exercise option and can help overall management of your blood sugar.
With all the exercise make sure you track how your blood sugar levels are responding. Use a glucometer for this purpose. It is easy, efficient and helps you track sugar levels even on the go. Also, follow all the recommendations given by your health coach.
Optimise your diet and lifestyle according to your sugar level and ensure the best possible diabetes management.