In Ayurveda, medicine for diabetes is chosen based upon the dosha and causative factors. “Nidana Parivarjanam Chikitsa” is a famous saying in Ayurveda, which means that elimination of the causative factors is one the main steps in treating a disease. The treatment of diabetes through Ayurveda remains a much-debated topic.
The above mentioned causative factors, disturb the ‘agni’ within and kapha dosha gets aggravated which vitiates the fat, muscle and watery elements (medas, mamsa and udaka) of the body and causes madhumeha (diabetes) that is predominant of various doshas.
In this condition, the urine of the person becomes similar to that of honey, hence the term sweet urine. It is also said that any type of diabetes that is not treated properly eventually becomes worse over a period of time.
Ayurvedic Remedies As A Treatment for Diabetes
Ayurvedic medicine and treatment for diabetes are based upon the build of the patient: sthoola pramehi (obese patient) or orkrisha pramehi (lean patient) and also upon the dosha predominance.
Purificatory therapies like panchakarma are performed as the first stage of treatment in the case of an obese patient and then rejuvenating herbs are prescribed.
Whereas in cases of an orkrisha or lean patient, nourishing therapies are done as the first step of treatment for diabetes.
Ayurvedic Supplements for The Treatment of Diabetes
- Saptarangi – Salacia Oblonga
- Haridra – Curcuma longa (turmeric)
- Haritaki – Terminalia chebula Retz.
- Amalaki -Embilica officinale (Indian Gooseberry)
- Jambu – Syzygium cumini
- Guggulu – Commiphora mukul
- Guduchi – Tinospora cordifolia (Neem giloy)
- Nimba – Azadirachta indica (Neem)
- Bel – Aegle Marmelos
If herbal remedies are taken in the right manner and dosage, it can have a powerful effect on your body. But make sure you take these only under the guidance of an Ayurvedic practitioner.
Home Remedies for the Ayurvedic Treatment of Diabetes
- A glass of Karela Jamun Juice daily morning on an empty stomach.
- Mix half a teaspoon of amla powder and turmeric powder in a glass of warm water and consume on an empty stomach.
- Include fenugreek, sunflower or chia seeds in your daily diet.
- Consumption of Jamun juice is also proven to be beneficial in the case of type 2 diabetes.
- Neem leaves should be ground and made into a paste and a small bolus of this should be added to water. This should be taken on an empty stomach in the morning.
Healthy Diet and Lifestyle changes for Diabetes Management
Ayurvedic medicines and treatment for diabetes alone is not sufficient for a complete cure.
Healthy diet and an active lifestyle play a vital role in the management of diabetes.
- Make sure to never skip meals. Proper meals on time are a must.
- Oats, brown rice, flax seeds, cinnamon and fenugreek should be added to your diet.
- Fruits including berries and apples, vegetables like spinach, cauliflower, cabbage, carrot, and all types of gourds and squashes can be taken.
- Tender coconut water can be taken but the whitish pulp should be avoided as it is high in sugar and fat.
- Raw honey can be taken in small quantities and will not elevate blood sugar levels.
Certain diet and lifestyle changes can help you in the overall management of diabetes and its symptoms. Most of the above-mentioned herbs target elevated blood sugar levels and help balance them. As a precaution, you should monitor blood sugar on a regular basis and a glucometer helps you with exactly that.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?