Nutrition, meal planning and exercise are the key pillars to a healthy lifestyle. As we all are aware of the fact that an inactive lifestyle reduces the life expectancy and furthermore worsens existing chronic illnesses, a good combination of exercise and nutrition for diabetics can turn this around.
During recent years, the relation shared between physical activity and diabetes management has been assessed really closely through which it has been well established that exercise and nutrition for diabetics produces a lot of health benefits for diabetic patients.
In this article, we will discuss the importance of exercise and nutrition for diabetics.
All about Exercise & Nutrition for Diabetics
Regular exercise and nutrition for diabetics have various benefits including:
- Reduce insulin resistance
- Help regulate blood glucose
- Lower uric acid and triglycerides
- Increase in the HDL/LDL cholesterol ratio
The basic principle of daily exercises is the intensity, duration and frequency of exercise in an appropriate environment. Usually, low-intensity and long-duration exercise programs are considered the most suitable for diabetic patients.
When we talk about the diet for diabetics, it is a widely accepted fact that healthy meals is the basis for the treatment of diabetes since it contributes positively to the maintenance of blood glucose within normal range and minimizes the complications of the disease.
For a person, it is of absolute necessity to understand how daily exercise and nutrition for diabetics can affect their blood sugar and insulin.
Healthy Meals & Balanced Nutrition: What is the Relationship?
Healthy eating is a cornerstone of healthy living with or without diabetes. But if a person has diabetes, they need to have proper knowledge about how foods affect their blood sugar levels. It’s not only the type of food they eat, but also how much they eat and the combinations of food types they eat. Moreover, exercising regularly without following a proper balanced nutritious meal cannot solely help control diabetes and loose weight. Many people with diabetes fail to understand the relationship that exists between food and exercise, but the fact remains that the former is an underlying fuel source that drives the latter.
Importance of Nutrition & Balanced Meal
- Without the right diet for diabetics , it is impossible to exercise effectively and control diabetes with food.
- A good diet for a person with diabetes can only be possible when the nutritional value of every meal is measured.
- Having a balanced nutritional diet can help a person with diabetes to regulate the amount of saturated fat and sugar that they eat on a regular basis, improving your overall health and optimizing the impact of any exercise in a positive way that is undertaken.
- Maintaining a daily food journal to keep track of the nutritional level can help control diabetes with food.
Importance of Exercise & Fitness
- Just like a person cannot loose weight and control diabetes without a proper and balanced nutritious meal, exercising daily is extremely essential.
- The more weight a person with diabetes carries, the more insulin they may need.
- Exercising daily can use up energy and lower blood sugar levels, reduce your cholesterol levels and blood pressure, which in turn lowers your risk for heart disease as a side effect of diabetes and improve blood circulation throughout your body.
Related Article: Best Exercises For People With Type 1 Diabetes
Thus, for a person with diabetes it is of absolutely necessity to keep in mind that exercise and nutrition for diabetics go hand in hand. Even smallest of the changes can make a big difference. It is of utmost importance to design a routine that is both attainable and enjoyable.