Eid is a time when high-sugar foods and beverages become central to the celebrations. If a diabetic person overloads the system with these kinds of food, it can result in high blood sugar and can cause serious health complications. Therefore, we have come up with special Eid savories for diabetics.
People with diabetes, especially type 1, have to exercise restraint when consuming celebratory sweets and snacks during Eid. The risk of overindulgence of sweets is usually higher in type 1 diabetics, who are insulin dependent, than type 2. For diabetics there are too many temptations during festivals. But with a little care they can enjoy delicacies they like while ensuring health does not suffer.
Eid Savories For Diabetics – Recipes
Eid Savories – Oats Kebab
- Combine rolled oats(1 cup) , paneer(¼ cup) , grated carrots ( ¼ cup), mashed potatoes(½ cup boiled) lemon juice (1 tsp), ginger garlic paste (1 ½ tsp ), chilli powder ( 1 tsp) and salt to taste. Mix well
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and roll out each portion into smaller flat round tikki.
- Dip each tikki in the milk and then roll them in oats till they are evenly coated from both the sides.
- Heat a non-stick tawa and grease it using 1/4 tsp of ghee.
- Cook each tikki, using 1/8 tsp of ghee, till they turn golden brown in color from both the sides.
- Serve hot with healthy green chutney.
Nutrition (per tikki) : Energy: 120 cal, Protein: 4.7 g, Carbohydrates: 16.5 g, Fibre: 2.6 g, Fat: 4.1g, Cholesterol: 0 mg
Eid Savories – Brown Rice Biryani
- Wash and clean chicken and marinate it with ginger garlic paste and very little chilli for an hour.
- Add ghee and fry finely chopped onions until translucent.
- Add chicken and caramelise it.
- Add ½ cup water and cook. Once cooked, turn off the flame.
- In another pan add 3 cardamom, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp zeera, 1 dry kashmiri chilli, 3 cup organic brown rice and 6 cups of water.Add salt to taste.
- Once the rice is almost cooked, take a deeper pan for layering, and layer the chicken and rice. Close lid and leave for dum for 10 mins on low flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Eid Savories – Bajra Puff Sheer
- Heat the milk in a broad non-stick pan and cook on medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes or till it starts boiling, while stirring occasionally.
- Keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add a little sugar substitute and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Add paneer and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve chilled.
- For a twist to your sheer, sprinkle some bajra puff over your sheer at the time of serving to retain its crunch.
Nutrient values per serving (approx) : Energy: 44 cal, Protein: 4.4 g, Carbohydrates: 6.3 g, Fat: 0.1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg.
With festivals you tend to eat foods you normally would not, therefore you need to diligently monitor blood sugar levels to make sure you are coping well with your food regime.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?