Extensively used in Indian homes for its tremendous health benefits, fenugreek or methi is an aromatic plant which acts as a key ingredient of curries and is also known for its medicinal properties. The origin of fenugreek is found in its cultivation in South Asia, North Africa and parts of the Mediterranean, but is also extensively grown in the Indian subcontinent as being part of the foods that control diabetes.
Fenugreek and Diabetes
As part of the foods to eat for diabetes and being high in soluble fibre, fenugreek seeds help lower blood sugars as they slow down digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. Studies have found out potential anti-diabetic qualities of methi which have been proven since ages. Clinical trials have shown that fenugreek seeds as foods that control diabetes help improve metabolic symptoms of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes and they lower blood glucose by improving glucose tolerance. Studies conducted under different conditions have proven that methi – in powdered or soaked form – have tremendous effect on balancing blood sugar levels.
Fenugreek Methi Seeds and its Uses in Food for a Diabetic Person
- A simple way to use fenugreek seeds – the food for diabetic patient – is to dry roast them on a skillet for a minute or two on medium heat. Stir it frequently to prevent burning. Now add about two tablespoons of roasted fenugreek seeds to meals and enjoy a healthy diabetic life.
- This food for diabetic patient – the fenugreek seeds – can also be boiled along with dried leaves in a cup of water for ten minutes. Strain the liquid and consume as a tea twice a day to lower blood glucose levels.
- Another extremely simple yet useful way to use this food for diabetics – methi – is to boil tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water for thirty minutes and take half a spoon of this thick liquid thrice a day.
- Methi can also be added to dal and other dishes regularly prepared for lunch or dinner. Add methi to masoor dal to bring out an aromatic flavour which keeps your blood sugars healthy.
Other Health Benefits of Methi
Eat fenugreek seeds in food to eat in diabetes to enjoy several health benefits like:
- Help in lowering the cholesterol.
- Lowering the risk of heart disease.
- Helps in controlling blood sugar levels in diabetes.
- Aids digestion.
- Help in losing weight.
- Helps counter acid heartburn or heartburn.
- It is effective remedy for fever and sore throat.
- Lowers and eases child birth.
- In lactating women increases the breast milk production.
- Helps in lowering the menstrual discomfort.
- Preventing colon cancer.
- Lower scars and help in soothe the skin inflammation.
- Helps in treating the skin problems.
- Help in resolving the hair problems.
- Some medicinal uses of methi include: laxative, digestive and as a beneficial remedy for bronchitis and cough.
- Methi seeds are also added to cereals and wheat flour to increase its health quotient.
It is advisable to consult your diabetes educator or doctor before adding methi to your diet. Monitoring blood sugar levels before and after your diet with methi is important to assess how well you are responding to it. Use a compact glucometer to monitor your levels and record your readings taken with the glucometer to discuss and analyse the patterns with your doctor.