As part of the foods to eat for diabetes and being high in soluble fibre, fenugreek seeds help lower blood sugars as they slow down digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. Studies have found potential anti-diabetic qualities of methi which have been proven for ages. Check out the benefits of Methi for diabetes patients here.
Clinical trials have shown that fenugreek seeds as foods that control diabetes help improve metabolic symptoms of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes and they lower blood glucose by improving glucose tolerance. Studies conducted under different conditions have proven that methi – in powdered or soaked form – has a tremendous effect on balancing blood sugar levels.
How to Use Methi for Diabetes Patients?
-A simple way to use fenugreek seeds is to dry roast them in a skillet for a minute or two on medium heat. Stir it frequently to prevent burning. Now add about two tablespoons of roasted fenugreek seeds to meals and enjoy a healthy diabetic life.
-Fenugreek seeds can also be boiled along with dried leaves in a cup of water for ten minutes. Strain the liquid and consume it as a tea twice a day to lower blood glucose levels.
-Boil a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water for thirty minutes and take half a spoon of this thick liquid thrice a day.
-Methi can also be added to dal and other dishes regularly prepared for lunch or dinner. Add methi to masoor dal to bring out an aromatic flavour which keeps your blood sugars healthy.
Other Health Benefits of Methi
Eat fenugreek seeds in food to eat in diabetes to enjoy several health benefits like:
- Helps in lowering cholesterol.
- Lowering the risk of heart disease.
- Helps in controlling blood sugar levels in diabetes.
- Aids digestion.
- Help in losing weight.
- Helps counter acid heartburn or heartburn.
- It is an effective remedy for fever and sore throat.
- Eases childbirth.
- In lactating woman, increases breast milk production.
- Helps in lowering the menstrual discomfort.
- Preventing colon cancer.
- Lower scars and help in soothing the skin inflammation.
- Helps in treating skin problems.
- Help in resolving the hair problems.
- Some medicinal uses of methi include: laxative, digestive and as a beneficial remedy for bronchitis and cough.
- Methi seeds are also added to cereals and wheat flour to increase its health quotient.
It is advisable to consult your diabetes educator or doctor before adding methi to your diet. Monitoring blood sugar levels before and after your diet with methi is important to assess how well you are responding to it. Use a compact glucometer to monitor your levels and record your readings taken with the glucometer to discuss and analyse the patterns with your doctor.
Download the BeatO App for effective diabetes care.