The prolonged confinement to maintain social distancing and prevent the spread of the virus has limited attendance for people with diabetes at clinics. While telemedicine has become a popular option, caring for people with diabetes also requires continuous glucose monitoring technologies to control sugar levels during the pandemic. This is where Abbott FreeStyle Libre plays a crucial role in bridging the gap between the data needed to assess sugar trends and the time and again needed to prick fingertips. It is important to know how the Abbott Freestyle Libre works before putting it to use.
The FreeStyle Libre system liberates you from the worries of routine finger-prick testing. You can just scan the reader over the sensor and check your glucose levels. When used over time, it can also help you see patterns in your sugar levels.
The Importance of Continuous Glucose Monitoring Technology
Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) will be the future of diabetes care because of real-time input about variations in lifestyle and dietary intake. Here are some reasons why CGM is important in the current times:
- Track significant spikes in blood sugar between meals
- Show early morning spikes in glucose levels
- Assess how diet and exercise influence your sugar levels
- Decide whether your treatment plan is working on a daily basis
- More affordable than other glucose monitoring methods.
Why is Abbott FreeStyle Libre the Future of Diabetes Care?
Abbott FreeStyle Libre offers people with diabetes a choice to check glucose levels whenever and wherever ultimately improving glucose control. Here are a few more reasons why this is the future of diabetes care:
- Helpful- The sensor automatically and continuously saves glucose readings day and night. This helps assess sugar trends and understand how diet and exercise are working for your body.
- Easy to understand- With each scan, you get your present glucose level, the most recent 8 hours of glucose information, and a pattern that shows you where your glucose is going.
- Discreet- Glucose readings with an effortless one-second sweep even through your clothing.
- Simple- The FreeStyle Libre system is water-resistant and can be worn while washing, showering, swimming, or even when you are working out.
How does Abbott FreeStyle Libre Work?
The Abbott FreeStyle Libre measures interstitial blood glucose levels in people with diabetes. To obtain a glucose reading, all you need to do is quickly scan the reader over the sensor. It is a newer-generation CGM that does not require a bulky transmitter.
This easy scan gives you more data than a blood glucose test without the requirement for routine finger pricks. The FreeStyle Libre system also offers precise reports and a clear analysis of your glucose data.
After applying the sensor, the system gets ready to function in about one hour. To get a reading, you should place the reader within 1.5 inches of the sensor. The best part is that you can scan the sensor as frequently as you like, but it is generally advised to perform a scan at least once every eight hours. The sensor can be worn for up to 14 days, and after that, it needs to be replaced. However, it can store 90 days’ worth of data.
With India having the second-largest diabetes population globally, continuous glucose monitoring technologies will give millions of Indians access to high-quality, accurate, and pain-free diabetes.
Download the BeatO App to monitor your blood glucose anywhere, anytime!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?