Apple pie is not only a popular dessert but also an iconic symbol of American culinary culture. Whether enjoyed as a simple homemade treat or a slice from a bakery, apple pie is a comforting and timeless dessert cherished by many. But the question arises- Can you enjoy an apple pie being a person with diabetes? The answer is, yes!
A diabetes-friendly apple pie is a modified version of the classic apple pie that is designed to have a lower impact on blood sugar levels, making it suitable for individuals with diabetes or those who need to manage their carbohydrate intake.Check out the healthy recipe for you-
Diabetes-friendly No Bake Apple Pie Recipe
Apples are enjoyed by everyone alike. To add on to the cheer, we have a no bake apple pie recipe for you.
Preparation Time- 15 minutes
Cooking Time- 35 minutes
- Digestive/ Whole Wheat Crackers/Low carb Cheese crackers – 250gms
- Coconut oil – ½ cup
- Apple, sliced – 200 gms
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Stevia – ½ tsp
- Lemon juice – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Combine coconut oil and graham crackers with some water in a blender and blend until the mixture is lumpy and sticking together. Lay in a cake tin and allow to sit in the fridge.
- Heat a non-stick pan and grease with a bit of coconut oil/ vegetable oil.
- Peel and slice the apple and put it into a thick bottom pan with water stevia, star anise, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Cook them until the apples are not completely soft.
- Lay over the set digestive crust and put it into the fridge for an hour to set.
- Place the cooked apples over it and garnish with your favourite nuts.
Benefits: This recipe has a moderate amount of carbohydrates and it is a sugar-free alternative to your regular apple pie.
Recommended serving size: 1 slice
Being a person with diabetes, you should always keep the portion in size. Exceeding the portion size recommended by your doctor or health coach can lead to a spike in your blood glucose levels. To be extra careful, you can even do a quick sugar check before and after having the apple pie. It can help you in assessing how it affects your sugar levels.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?