Nuts are known to provide a number of benefits for diabetics. As per some studies, it can even decrease your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. In this blog, we will tell you about the benefits of nuts for diabetics.
Before we move forward, it is important to understand that some nuts offer greater benefits than others:
- Almonds are rich in nutrients, particularly Vitamin E.
- Walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids.
- Cashews are rich in magnesium.
- Almonds and peanuts reduce bad cholesterol.
For diabetics, salted nuts should be avoided. This is because, excessive salt consumption is consistently linked to an increased risk of heart disease. Avoiding high cholesterol is extremely essential for people with diabetes, because exposure to high blood pressure increases the risk of arteries narrowing.
Almonds, peanuts, and pista are known to reduce “bad” cholesterol.
Benefits of Nuts for Diabetics
- Bad cholesterol is basically dense particles that have low-density lipoprotein. Too much of this can cause a clogging of your arteries.
- Nuts are low in glycemic index as well. The glycemic index basically measures the speed at which your body absorbs carbs from food. Diabetics have a higher likelihood of developing heart disease. Nuts can have a positive effect on heart health, by reducing the risk of cardiovascular health problems.
- Walnuts & Almonds are rich in vitamin E. They are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to increase levels of good cholesterol.
- A lot many nuts contain an amino acid known as L-arginine; this is known to strengthen the walls of your arteries and make them more flexible.
- People who have flexible arteries are less likely to suffer from poor blood flow.
- Keep in mind to consume nuts in moderation. People who are type 2 diabetic and want to lose weight should limit their consumption for sure.
- Most nuts offer some kind of benefit, from cardiovascular health to omega-3 oils. The best advice, is to incorporate a generous amount of nuts into your diet, and make sure you get a variety when you consume.
Read More: Best Calcium-Rich Foods for Diabetics
The most important nuts for diabetics are ones that improve cardiovascular health, like almonds, walnuts, and pistachios. If you only incorporate a few nuts into your diet daily, you are sure to contribute to good health.
Also, make sure to regularly monitor your sugar levels using a glucometer.