A native of China, kiwi is a deliciously mouth-watering fruit in diabetes type 2 diet or as part of diabetic diet which has been proven to help people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. While foods in type 1 diabetes with high carbohydrates, sugar fats and cholesterol are avoided by diabetics in their diabetic diet, kiwi has been studied to contribute in managing healthy blood sugar levels.
Kiwi and its Benefits in Food for Diabetics
- Rich in vitamin C, kiwi increases the body’s disease fighting abilities and immunity which are considered to be a food for diabetics.
- Studies have proven that children who consumed more servings of fruits like kiwi and other citrus variants witnessed lesser respiratory problems than the ones consuming lesser amounts.
- Kiwi, as being part of food for diabetic patient, drastically lowers your triglycerides and hence promotes healthy heart.
- Being rich in vitamin C and polyphenols, kiwi prevents blood clotting and protects against heart diseases.
- Containing vitamin E, kiwi is also rich in antioxidants and hence forms a great diet plan for diabetes.
- A great source of fibre, kiwi helps improve digestion and good cholesterol.
- Other minerals which give kiwi its properties include potassium, magnesium, copper and phosphorus.
- Loaded with fibre, kiwi helps lower bad cholesterol thereby reducing the risks of heart diseases. It also helps in improving digestion and hence relieves constipation.
- Considered to be low in glycemic index, only 53, kiwi serves as the ideal food for diabetics.
- Kiwis also help induce sleep as they contain serotonin which helps you fall asleep faster and sleep better.
Ways to Include Kiwi in Daily Diet – Food to Control Diabetes
Beat the scorching summer heat with the following recipes:
- Kiwi Slush: Mix kiwi pulp with freshly squeezed black grape juice. Layer with generous amount of crushed ice to obtain a refreshing drink during summers.
- Kiwi Salad: Blend this tangy fruit with sweet lime, pomegranate and oranges to enjoy a refreshing colourful salad. Top it up with a large scoop of low fat yogurt to increase its nutritional value. Add kiwi in the salad in the end to prevent the salad from becoming soggy.
- Kiwi Sandesh: Mash slightly overripe kiwi and blend with homemade soft paneer to enjoy healthy low fat and low sugar sweet dish.
- Kiwi Delight: Want to add a twist of delight to your regular dessert in the food to eat for diabetes? On a layer of sliced kiwi, add a layer of coarse ground marie biscuits, complimented by a layer of low fat cream, strawberry crush and topped by a layer of sponge cake. Add a layer of kiwi to enjoy this delicious dessert.
After going through these foods that control diabetes, consult with a nutritionist to plan and ensure your diabetes diet or foods that controls diabetes, kiwi and ensure you check your blood sugar levels regularly using a glucometer. These readings are synced from the glucometer to the diabetes management app.