Total Cook Time: 30 mins
- 3/4 cup Rice
- 1 cup Moth Dal (Matki) , soaked overnight
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 1 cup Spinach , roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves (Pudina) , roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) seeds
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 2 teaspoons Ghee
- Salt , to taste
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 4 cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- Wash and soak moth beans overnight.
- Wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes before starting to cook.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of ghee in a pressure pan, add the cumin seeds, whole peppercorns and let it crackle.
- Add the asafoetida, onions and saute until it turns translucent.
- Once the onions turn translucent, add the chopped spinach and mint leaves, saute until it wilts a bit.
- Drain and add the soaked moth beans and rice.
- Add 4 cups of water, season with salt, garam masala and pressure cook the Matki Khichdi for 3 to 4 whistles. Switch off the heat. And let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid and gently mix the Matki Khichdi together.
- Now, heat the remaining ghee in a small tadka pan, add the chopped garlic cloves and fry until it turns golden. Switch off the heat.
- Pour this crispy garlic tadka over the prepared Matki Khichdi.
- Garnish with more fresh mint leaves and serve Hariyali Matki Khichdi recipe along with Rajasthani Kadhi, Sprouts Salad and Roasted Papad for a weeknight dinner.
Source : Archana’s Kitchen