Managing diabetes does not mean that your meals have to be bland and boring. They can be nutrient-packed and delicious at the same time. We have a culinary delight from the state of Andhra Pradesh. Enjoy this diabetes-friendly lentils with ridge gourd recipe that will keep you satiated for long and won’t lead to a spike in your sugar levels.
Beerkaya Pappu (Lentils with Ridge Gourd) is a traditional dish from the state of Andhra Pradesh, it effortlessly combines both taste and health. Having a low glycemic index, this dish is suitable for people having diabetes. Beerkaya or Ridge gourd has several health benefits for eyes, diabetes, skin, liver, weight and digestion.
Beerkaya Pappu (Lentils with Ridge Gourd) Recipe
This makes this recipe a super healthy and simple dish to cook.
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
Serves – 4 portions
- Ridge Gourd 450 gm
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Tuvar dal 80 gms
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- Handful of coriander leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 20 ml cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and cut the ridge gourd into medium-sized cubes.
- Keep them aside in water to prevent them from turning brown.
- Wash the dal and boil it with ridge gourd, turmeric powder and salt in a pressure cooker.
- Keep the cooked dal aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add ginger paste, curry leaves and red chilli powder to the oil to make a tadka.
- Add the tadka to the dal and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve hot.
Serve with ragi and wheat mixed rotis or a small portion of brown rice and a glass of buttermilk. This high-fiber recipe is satisfying and nutritious for a main meal. You can add any other vegetables of your choice also to the dal.
BeatO Food Lab Nutrition Information
While savouring diabetes-friendly food, remember that you should keep the portion size in check. If you overeat a diabetes-friendly food item, it can lead to a spike in your sugar level. You should also speak with your doctor or health coach to get the right advice about your diabetes diet. Also, keep a regular tab on your sugar levels.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?